Late-in-CA

My 1040 line 10 has $3,189, I have a 1099-G that says $3,536. My Turbo tax form says $4,072. That's all very confusing. How can I get the components of Line 10?

I didn't have any other state income.

AndreaG

The taxable amount of your prior year state refund is reported on line 10 and is based on the amount that is reported on your 1099G Form. There is a worksheet in the IRS Form 1040 instructions that is used to calculate the amount of the refund that is taxable.

Please refer to pages 23-24 of the IRS Form 1040 instructions under the headings, "line 10: taxable refunds, credits, or offsets of state and local income taxes" and "state and local income tax refund worksheet - line 10" for additional information. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

AndreaG