turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missed RMD prior to death / Form 5329

Quick question about missed RMD's
Elderly parent passed away Jan 2024, having taken RMD's since 2019 but not having taken RMD's for 2023 (illness) or 2024 (death).  I understand that the RMD for 2024 should be taken by me, the non-eligible designated beneficiary (non-minor child of deceased).
My question pertains to the missed RMD for 2023, what should be done in that case? 
Should Form 5329 be filled out on behalf of the deceased or should I fill out the 5329 and ask for a reasonable cause waiver of the penalty (and take the missed 2023 RMD myself)?
Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Missed RMD prior to death / Form 5329

Yes, the missed RMD should be reported on the 2023 return of the decedent. You should contact the trustee of the account and take the RMD as soon as possible.


You can file Form 5329 and ask for a penalty waiver based on the situation. If you have a Form 1099-R entered on the 2023 return, then follow these steps:



  1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Select Wages & Income, then Review or Edit.
  3. Scroll down to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), under Retirement Plans and Social Security, select Start or Revisit to the right.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-R in 2023?
  5. Follow the screen instructions to enter the 1099-R form.
  6. Continue until you get to Tell us more about the retirement plan distribution. Select I did not receive all the RMD for 2023, and select Continue. 
  7. On the Required Minimum Distribution screen enter the RMD amount and actual amount received
  8. Enter information on the Let's see if we can reduce your tax bill, to apply for a waiver.


If you don't have a Form 1099-R to file, this can only be done using Forms mode, which is only available with the TurboTax Desktop software:



  1. Select the Forms icon in the upper right corner.
  2. Select Open Form and type  in 5329.
  3. Scroll down to Part IX line 52 and enter the RMD amount that should have been taken. On line 53 enter the amount of the RMD that was actually taken (probably zero if it was missed).
  4. Then in the box right under line 53, Waiver of Tax Smart Worksheet enter the same amount as line 52 (the RMD amount). 
  5. Select Explanation and enter the reason for missing the RMD and your statement requesting a waiver.

I am very sorry for your loss. Please feel free to reach out again if you have more questions. 


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies