turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My company went from 1099 to w-2. They then cut my pay from 25% to 23% to cover their half of Medicare and social security taxes. Is this legal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My company went from 1099 to w-2. They then cut my pay from 25% to 23% to cover their half of Medicare and social security taxes. Is this legal?

Their half of Medicare and social security taxes is 7.65% of your salary.  23/25 = 92%. So, your net pay is about the same as it was before.

It appears, you are coming out about even. However, if you were deducting any expenses against this income, those deductions will be more limited as a W-2 employee and the net tax effect will be less take home pay.

I suspect the change is a result of a legal challenge. Somebody (possibly the IRS or State labor dept.) was complaining about you being classified as a contractor and  not an employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Your company put you on a W-2? You had to agree to that. Or go elsewhere.

Maybe the company got in trouble for misclassifying its workers.

I think they did get in trouble for having us as 1099
Hal_Al
Level 15

Their half of Medicare and social security taxes is 7.65% of your salary.  23/25 = 92%. So, your net pay is about the same as it was before.

It appears, you are coming out about even. However, if you were deducting any expenses against this income, those deductions will be more limited as a W-2 employee and the net tax effect will be less take home pay.

I suspect the change is a result of a legal challenge. Somebody (possibly the IRS or State labor dept.) was complaining about you being classified as a contractor and  not an employee.

That is a legal question, not an income tax one.

But, unless you are subject to a collective bargaining contract, they they only have to pay you minimum wage for your state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies