cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Turbo Tax is giving me a retirement contribution deduction on MA state taxes but I did not make any contributions.

I received payments from an annuity that my mother owned so I was not the one who made contributions and even hers were not made this past tax year. I don't know how to remove the contribution.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 7

Turbo Tax is giving me a retirement contribution deduction on MA state taxes but I did not make any contributions.

MA allows a limited deduction for your contribution to Social Security, Medicare, railroad retirement, or a US or MA government retirement plan.

For example, SS and Medicare tax that you reported paying would be automatically applied to this deduction, as a contribution to a "retirement plan".

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 7

MA allows a limited deduction for your contribution to Social Security, Medicare, railroad retirement, or a US or MA government retirement plan.

For example, SS and Medicare tax that you reported paying would be automatically applied to this deduction, as a contribution to a "retirement plan".

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks very much!  Now that you mention it I used to know that when I did it all on paper. In Turbo Tax most of what's being calculated is a mystery, but overall still way better. Since my 1099-R was new this year I thought it was about that. Great to get such a clear helpful answer so quickly.