turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Life insurance company on a 1099r the gross distribution in 1 shows up and not the taxable amount 2a . what have i done wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Life insurance company on a 1099r the gross distribution in 1 shows up and not the taxable amount 2a . what have i done wrong?

The taxable amount of the distribution is less than the gross distribution because a portion of the distribution was a nontaxable return of premiums.  The amount attributable to a return of premiums will probably be shown in box 5 of the Form 1099-R.

Enter the 1099-R exactly as shown on the printed form. If there's any more info that TurboTax needs, you'll have some follow up questions.

A life insurance policy is a non-qualified plan.

You can read a little more about this from SuperUser dmertz: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3045458

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelDC

What's the code in Box 7?

7 ordinary distribution
MichaelDC

And your 1099-R Box 2a is blank or 0?

no it is about half of the value in 1
MichaelDC

Great thanks.
MichaelDC

The taxable amount of the distribution is less than the gross distribution because a portion of the distribution was a nontaxable return of premiums.  The amount attributable to a return of premiums will probably be shown in box 5 of the Form 1099-R.

Enter the 1099-R exactly as shown on the printed form. If there's any more info that TurboTax needs, you'll have some follow up questions.

A life insurance policy is a non-qualified plan.

You can read a little more about this from SuperUser dmertz: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3045458

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies