turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter my 1099R when the box marked total distribution is checked but it was not the total dist? I'm getting the questions about whether I rolled it over or not

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter my 1099R when the box marked total distribution is checked but it was not the total dist? I'm getting the questions about whether I rolled it over or not

I suggest: If the 1099R is incorrect, you should contact your financial institution and request a corrected 1099R.  They should be able to explain why it is checked, or issue a corrected form.

Did you in fact roll it over?  If so, you may be able to report that when you enter the newly created rollover account.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I suggest: If the 1099R is incorrect, you should contact your financial institution and request a corrected 1099R.  They should be able to explain why it is checked, or issue a corrected form.

Did you in fact roll it over?  If so, you may be able to report that when you enter the newly created rollover account.

I did contact the financial institution who insisted it was correct. They said I should contact my tax adviser! The rest of the account was rolled over after this distribution was made.

The total distribution will not affect the taxable amount or the interview questions.

If you did not roll it over then say you did something else - took the  money.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It sounds to me like you removed all the money from the account in 2018, and that is why the Total Distribution box is marked.  It does not matter whether it was all removed in one or multiple transactions.
I suggest you enter the 1099-R information and follow the TT questions and instructions.  Pay attention to the question about whether any of the amount withdrawn was rolled over to another account.

Now I understand about the money being removed at multiple times. Re-entered everything and it looks good.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies