turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have my SSA-1099-SM with my SS # entered. Need to enter second SSA-1099-SM for my deceased husband (2015). Filing single as no dependents

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I have my SSA-1099-SM with my SS # entered. Need to enter second SSA-1099-SM for my deceased husband (2015). Filing single as no dependents

Resolved in comments.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It has his ssn on it?  And it's for 2016?  If that is all he has for 2016 you don't have to file it.  It would only go on a separate return for him if he has other income.

ok - so the income I get as survivors benefits are not taxed since on his SS #?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not taxed if his name and Social Security number are in boxes 1 and 2 at the top of the SSA-1099, and that's his only income for 2016. If your name and Social Security number are in boxes 1 and 2, it's your income and you have to include it on your tax return. The Social Security number in box 8 at the bottom of the form is not what determines whose income it is.

If your name and Social Security number are in boxes 1 and 2 on the SSA-1099, add the amounts on the two SSA-1099s together and enter the total in TurboTax.

THANKS rjs....got it now!
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Resolved in comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies