turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wcourtney

"Plan cost at annuity starting date"? Where do I get this number from?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

It may be listed on your form, your personal records or you might just have to contact your plan administrator. 

The plan cost of your annuity is the amount of your after-tax dollars that you (or plan owner) put into the annuity (your voluntary contributions).   It is often listed in box 9b of your form 1099-R.  If the information is not listed there, I recommend that you contact your annuity administrator or look into your old records.  It is beneficial for you to find this, as the plan cost reduces your taxable income on the annuity distribution. 

Your annuity start date is the date when you started receiving your first check (your distributions). This information is not listed on 1099-R...if you don't remember and can't find it in your records, the plan administrator should have that information. 

Note:  If your annuity is OPM and you are still unsure, you may contact OPM at 1-888-828-9451 to inquire about your voluntary contributions and start date.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

It may be listed on your form, your personal records or you might just have to contact your plan administrator. 

The plan cost of your annuity is the amount of your after-tax dollars that you (or plan owner) put into the annuity (your voluntary contributions).   It is often listed in box 9b of your form 1099-R.  If the information is not listed there, I recommend that you contact your annuity administrator or look into your old records.  It is beneficial for you to find this, as the plan cost reduces your taxable income on the annuity distribution. 

Your annuity start date is the date when you started receiving your first check (your distributions). This information is not listed on 1099-R...if you don't remember and can't find it in your records, the plan administrator should have that information. 

Note:  If your annuity is OPM and you are still unsure, you may contact OPM at 1-888-828-9451 to inquire about your voluntary contributions and start date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies