turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

flower15

I opened a traditional IRA; can this be considered a self employed retirement account, or does it have to be a 401k?etirement account

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rainydaze

I opened a traditional IRA; can this be considered a self employed retirement account, or does it have to be a 401k?etirement account

A traditional IRA is not a self-employment retirement account.  There are a variety of self-employment retirement accounts including a 401(k).  The easiest to set up is a SEP IRA, which you can contribute to until the 4/18 deadline. The IRS website provides a list of options: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-for-self-employed-people.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rainydaze

A traditional IRA is not a self-employment retirement account.  There are a variety of self-employment retirement accounts including a 401(k).  The easiest to set up is a SEP IRA, which you can contribute to until the 4/18 deadline. The IRS website provides a list of options: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-for-self-employed-people.  

it is just as easy to open a SEP IRA as it is a Tradtional IRA.
At this late date you would have to open and fund it online somewhere.
First, be sure you had TurboTAX maximize - compute the maximum of - your SEP contribution so you don't overcontribute.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies