Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I enter $2,885 Roth IRA Contributions prior to 2017. I withdrew $10,000 from the IRA, original contribution was $12,500 remaining balance $2,885. Is this correct

The $10,000 withdrawal was to pay off a boat. I'm not sure of the amount I need to enter when asked, "Contributions prior to 2017" Is it the remaining $2,885 or the $12,500 I originally deposited?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Should I enter $2,885 Roth IRA Contributions prior to 2017. I withdrew $10,000 from the IRA, original contribution was $12,500 remaining balance $2,885. Is this correct

It is asking for the $12,500 total that you have contributed to the IRA. 

Since your distribution from the Roth IRA is less than your total contributions, the amount you withdrew will not be taxable.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

It is asking for the $12,500 total that you have contributed to the IRA. 

Since your distribution from the Roth IRA is less than your total contributions, the amount you withdrew will not be taxable.

The amount that you previously contributed minus anything you have already withdrawn with any previous distribution.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies