Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 401k sent me a disbursement because I no longer worked for the company, do I have to pay additional tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

My 401k sent me a disbursement because I no longer worked for the company, do I have to pay additional tax?

It depends on what you did with the money.

If you rolled those funds into another retirement account within 60 days of the distribution, then the money is not taxable and there's no penalty.

If you did not do a rollover with those funds, then they are taxable.  In addition, if you're under age 59 1/2, then you'll be subject to a 10% penalty for an "early distribution."

You should have received a form 1099-R showing that distribution.  Take a look at the code in box 7.  If it's a code 1, then that means early distribution and will trigger the penalty.  TurboTax will make the necessary calculations based on your entry of the 1099-R information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

It depends on what you did with the money.

If you rolled those funds into another retirement account within 60 days of the distribution, then the money is not taxable and there's no penalty.

If you did not do a rollover with those funds, then they are taxable.  In addition, if you're under age 59 1/2, then you'll be subject to a 10% penalty for an "early distribution."

You should have received a form 1099-R showing that distribution.  Take a look at the code in box 7.  If it's a code 1, then that means early distribution and will trigger the penalty.  TurboTax will make the necessary calculations based on your entry of the 1099-R information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies