Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fire1bob
Returning Member

I received a lump sum settlement from SSA that was included on the ssa-1099, but not shown as a lump sum payment.

I was collecting 50% spousal benefits from my wife's account in 2016.  When I retired in 2017 I received a lump sum of what the difference was would I have collected my own benefits instead of hers.  Received two SSA-1099's.  One for the portion of the year that I was collecting the spousal benefit and another for the 8 months that I collected my own benefit.  The lump sum was included in the 1099 for my own benefits.  Do I manually take away the lump sum benefit amount from Box 5 and enter that amount in the "Lump Sum" question?  Thus changing the box 5 figure.to what was actually collected in monthly payments..I'm so confused.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I received a lump sum settlement from SSA that was included on the ssa-1099, but not shown as a lump sum payment.

It depends.  For a lump-sum SS distribution, there are two ways of figuring out the taxability of the distribution.  The first method is to include the whole distribution as reportable this year.  If reporting it this year does not increase your tax liability, go ahead and use that method.  It's easier.  However, there is another way, which is to figure out how much tax you would have paid in each separate year that distributions would have been received, but no amended return for a prior year is needed. To enter the lump sum (amounts you will enter manually), follow the instructions in this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767454

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies