turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

samg2020

I received certificate for income tax adjustment with amount I repaid more than 3000. How can deduct the amount in turbo tax. thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I received certificate for income tax adjustment with amount I repaid more than 3000. How can deduct the amount in turbo tax. thank you

It depends.  First, review the IRS procedure on claim of right repayments by clicking on the following link:  Repayments (Claim of Right. The website has not yet updated for Tax Year 2017, but the law and treatment has not changed.  You can find this same information in the 2017 PDF version:  Publication 525 - IRS.gov  and going to pages 33 and 34).

If your greater tax benefit is mentioned in Method #1, you may enter it by logging in to your TurboTax account, clicking on Take me to My Return, and then on Deductions & Credits.  Once there, go all the way to the bottom of the screen and follow the instructions you find in the next four screenshots:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Two questions:  Did you itemize last year, and is that figure from Federal or a State Tax adjustment?
samg2020

I did itemize last Year and amount was overpayement which was taxed and I have to pay it after tax. I paid both federal and state tax on that amount
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Was this a repayment of income, federal income tax, or state tax?
samg2020

Federal
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It was an income adjustment.  Please see my answer and look at the publications which provide excellent guidance.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  First, review the IRS procedure on claim of right repayments by clicking on the following link:  Repayments (Claim of Right. The website has not yet updated for Tax Year 2017, but the law and treatment has not changed.  You can find this same information in the 2017 PDF version:  Publication 525 - IRS.gov  and going to pages 33 and 34).

If your greater tax benefit is mentioned in Method #1, you may enter it by logging in to your TurboTax account, clicking on Take me to My Return, and then on Deductions & Credits.  Once there, go all the way to the bottom of the screen and follow the instructions you find in the next four screenshots:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies