turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is income reported on a 1099-S for the remaining value of life use upon sale of a primary home taxable income, and if so how is it entered in Turbo Tax?

My dad left his half of my parent's house to the kids, and provided life use for my mom. The house has now been sold, and my mom recieved a 1099-S for the remaining value of the life use of the home. Is this taxable income, and if so, where/how do I report it in Turbo Tax premier?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Is income reported on a 1099-S for the remaining value of life use upon sale of a primary home taxable income, and if so how is it entered in Turbo Tax?

Your mother can claim the lifetime exemption for the sale of her personal residence if she qualifies - It sounds like she would.  It has to be reported, but just treat it like the sale of a personal residence.  To enter in TurboTax, type "Sale of home" in the search window, and hit enter.  Then hit "Jump to sale of home".

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Your mother can claim the lifetime exemption for the sale of her personal residence if she qualifies - It sounds like she would.  It has to be reported, but just treat it like the sale of a personal residence.  To enter in TurboTax, type "Sale of home" in the search window, and hit enter.  Then hit "Jump to sale of home".

Thanks for the help!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.  Thanks for using TurboTax!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies