Solved: Is income from retirement in Missouri Kansas or Missouri income? I live in Kansas but taught in Missouri. (Now retired)

kimballmarsh01

Is income from retirement in Missouri Kansas or Missouri income? I live in Kansas but taught in Missouri. (Now retired)

I retired as a teacher in Missouri but live in Kansas.  Is the monthly retirement money considered as income from Missouri (where  I worked), or from Kansas (since I am retired and live in across the state line in Kansas)?  Will I need to file a Missouri State tax return or (since I have lived in Kansas all 12 months) is the money considered as Kansas income?

DDollar

Your retirement income is taxable in the state you live in.  The state from which the retirement income is paid is irrelevant.  In your case, you report the retirement income on your Kansas tax return.  You would not need to file a Missouri tax return unless you lived in or earned income in the state of Missouri during 2018.

[Edited 01-15-2019]

DDollar

[Edited 01-15-2019]

kimballmarsh01

thanks so much.  I truly appreciate your simple to understand, straight-forward answer!
DDollar

You're welcome.  Thanks for using TurboTax!