turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is FLI, which is listed on the second line of Box17, a deductible NJ Income Tax, or a secondary tax which should have been listed in Box14?

I have two amounts listed in Box17 NJ Income Tax. The first is NJ Income Tax Withheld, the second amount is for "FLI" which is Family Leave Insurance. Other secondary taxes are listed in Box14 (i.e. Disability and Unemployment).

Should I assume that the FLI amount should have been listed in Box14 instead of Box17? Or should I add the FLI amount to the NJ Income Tax withheld?

There is income earned in only one state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is FLI, which is listed on the second line of Box17, a deductible NJ Income Tax, or a secondary tax which should have been listed in Box14?

Yes, the FLI should be in Box 14.  You should enter it for Box 14 so the state taxes will be correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Yes, the FLI should be in Box 14.  You should enter it for Box 14 so the state taxes will be correct.

janda2615

I am in the same situation, do we on turbos end delete line 17 under the w2 when now entering the information on 14? Do I still leave line 15 showing NJ and Nj employers id or take that information out all together under the W2?
edison2nd

Not according to the state of NJ, they intend for it to be reported on line 17.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/git-er/m6025-2019.pdf

mrcuozzo
Returning Member

Yeah, but what about the first number?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify,

Do you have an amount reported in Box 14 with the code FLI

Do you work or live in New Jersey? 

xdreduardx
Returning Member

I have FLI listed in Box 15 in my NJ W2 form. FLI is not listed in Box 14.

Turbo tax won't let me file my tax returns.

What should I do?

Thanks.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Sounds like you have a non-standard W-2 Form.  Box 15 should have the two-letter State Code (NJ), followed by the Employer State ID, Box 16 should have the amount of NJ Wages, and Box 17 the amount of NJ tax paid.

If you can edit your W-2 entry to conform to the standard, you will be able to Efile.

Click this link for more info on Entering NJ FLI. 

@xdreduardx

xdreduardx
Returning Member

In the W2 that I got this is what is given:
Box 15 State Employer's State ID#
Line 1: FLI xxx-xxx-xxx/000
Line 2: NJ xxx-xxx-xxx/000 [above numbers are the same]

BOX 16 State Wages, tips, etc.
Line 1: [Left blank]
Line 2: $totalsalary

Box 17 State income tax
Line 1: $386.97
Line 2: $NJtaxes

Did my company make a mistake on W2 above?

I am unable to go through to the e-filing, because Turbotax flags an error.

One way I tried to fix it is:
  1. delete boxes 15-17 for FLI in Turbotax
  2. in box 14 add FLI and $386.97
  3. However, this reduces our return by $386.97
    1. I thought that FLI is tax already paid and box 14 is just for reference. Why is then $386.97 deducted again from my return? Wouldn't just a partial amount from $386.97 be deducted from my return?
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Family Leave Insurance premiums are post NJ tax and therefore included in NJ box 16 wages.  Thus when benefits are taken they are not taxed by NJ.  To handle correctly in TurboTax the NJ FLI should be a box 14 entry and select "NJ FLI" from the box 14 category dropdown.

NJ state line boxes 15-17 should only have NJ, the state ID number, the state wages, the state income tax withheld.

Miriam67Tx
Returning Member

Did you ever get an answer to this, because the same thing just happened to us, and our NJ refund was reduced by the exact amount of the NJFLI?

Pls let us know how to fix this problem, thanks.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct the NJ box 16 wages are increased by the amount of Family Leave Insurance premiums.  FLI premiums are post-NJ tax and therefore included in NJ box 16 wages.  Thus when/if family leave benefits are taken they are not taxed by NJ.  

To handle correctly in TurboTax the NJ FLI should be a box 14 entry and select "NJ FLI" from the box 14 category dropdown.

NJ state line boxes 15-17 should only have NJ, the state ID number, the state wages, the state income tax withheld.

Miriam67Tx
Returning Member

Also, pls note that I tried to remove the new listing from Box 14, but the NJ refund did not re-calculate.

Do you know how to refresh the NJ refund back to what it was before I deleted the FLI from Box 15?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try deleting the entire W2 from the federal "Income" topic and re-entering the W2 information entirely from scratch.  Be sure after deleting the W2 continue through the W2 topic to get all the way back to the summary page before re-entering the information again.

Miriam67Tx
Returning Member

Thanks, I will try that later and let you know what happens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies