Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tulip

Is 1099-G, taxable grant, earned income subject to kiddie tax?

My daughter graduated in May 2018 and started working July 2018 with the government for research and received a 1099-G, taxable grant.  She will be a dependent on my tax return so I can get the education credit.  I know she has to pay tax on it but it is showing as kiddie tax even though it is an earned income.  Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If she qualifies as your dependent, she is subject to the kiddie tax. But, any  earned income, she has,  is not subject to the kiddie tax. But, income on a 1099-G is not usually earned income. In order to call it earned income, she would have to report the income on Schedule C and pay self employment (social security and medicare) tax on Schedule SE.

So, if TurboTax is showing it subject to the kiddie tax, it is being reported as a grant and not earned income. For purposes of the kiddie tax, grants are not earned income

This seems wrong as it is really wages even if the government doesn't want to consider it such.  It is not investment income.  If she didn't work she wouldn't get anything.  I think Turbo tax is making an error here as there should be an exemption for this kind of work funding

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies