turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kdkimbrel

IRA contribution from 1099 income?

The majority of my income is reported through W-2s.  About one quarter is reported on 1099 from another business.  My W-2s show participation in employer retirement plan and thus when I show contributions to our IRA's, I am being told the income exceeds the allowable amount for IRA deduction.  Can I take the IRA deduction under self employed status using the $6500 contribution and $6000 catch up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

You can establish a SEP plan for you self-employment business and make a SEP-IRA contribution up to the maximum permissible amount based on you net earnings from self-employment.  You have until the due date of your tax return to do so.  SEP contributions are employer contributions only (as self-employed, you are your own employer), not an elective deferral, so no catch-up contribution is permitted.  Your maximum permissible SEP contribution is the lesser of $53,000 or:

20% * (net profit from self-employment - the deductible portion of self-employment taxes)

It's too late to establish any other kind of self-employed retirement plan for 2016.

RichardK

No, in your case you can't make a deductible IRA contribution for your self-employment income, however, you may be able to set up a different type of  retirement plan and make a deductible contribution for your self-employment income. You may find it beneficial to discuss this with a stock broker or securities company, who can set this up for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies