turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johnboyle

INCOME AS A MASS STATE RESIDENT ALSO TAXED IN JURISDICTION IN WHICH IT WAS EARNED. W-2 PUTS IT IN TWICE SO TOTAL INCOME IS TWICE THE ACTUAL

W-2 INCLUDES INCOME TWICE ONCE FOR STATE OF RESIDENCE AND ONCE FOR STATES WHERE EARNED

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

INCOME AS A MASS STATE RESIDENT ALSO TAXED IN JURISDICTION IN WHICH IT WAS EARNED. W-2 PUTS IT IN TWICE SO TOTAL INCOME IS TWICE THE ACTUAL

You must first do your federal return, in the personal info section it will ask if you worked in more than 1 state select yes, then your non-resident state return,  then last your resident return. Most states start with federal income. During the interview it will ask you to remove the 2nd state and remove the state that you are not working on.  Example if you live in Mass and work in NJ then you remove the NJ during the Mass interview if needed. The TT interview should walk you through this. 

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

You must first do your federal return, in the personal info section it will ask if you worked in more than 1 state select yes, then your non-resident state return,  then last your resident return. Most states start with federal income. During the interview it will ask you to remove the 2nd state and remove the state that you are not working on.  Example if you live in Mass and work in NJ then you remove the NJ during the Mass interview if needed. The TT interview should walk you through this. 

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies