turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the Fed section for 1099-R, it asks me to double check because I'm not yet 59 1/2, though I put it under my spouse who is. Is this a glitch in turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

In the Fed section for 1099-R, it asks me to double check because I'm not yet 59 1/2, though I put it under my spouse who is. Is this a glitch in turbotax?

If you 1099-R has your Social Security Number on it, it belongs to you and you can't apply it to your spouse.  

TurboTax wants to verify your age, because there is a Penalty for Early Distribution, normally. 

If you are not 59-1/2, and you took an Early Distribution (Code 1 or 2 in Box 7 on your 1099-R) due to hardship caused by Covid, you can spread out the taxable income over a three-year period.

This is reported on Form 8915-E which is not yet finalized by the IRS. 

If this would benefit you, click this link for info on How to Be Notified when Form 8915-E is Ready.

Click this link for info on How to Enter a 1099-R

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
g13615

I had the same issue, and worked with a support person over the phone.  They said it was supposed to be fixed by March 12, but it still isn't

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies