turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In past years, Turbotax calculated the maximum 401(k) contribution to equal the net income. In 2018, it calculated only 25% of net income. Has something changed?

This is a small side business with net income typically less than $15,000.  In 2016, and 2017 the max contribution was calculated by Turbotax to basically zero out my profits ($19k and $7K respectively).  But for 2018, the max is calculated as exactly 25% of net income.

Has the new tax law changed the deductible amount?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

In past years, Turbotax calculated the maximum 401(k) contribution to equal the net income. In 2018, it calculated only 25% of net income. Has something changed?

Nothing has changed except for increases in contribution limits.  Even the TurboTax self-employed retirement section remains unchanged.  You must have done something wrong.  There is no situation where TurboTax would calculate your maximum self-employed retirement deduction for any type of self-employed retirement plan to be exactly 25% of net income from self employment with net income from self employment in the range that you have.

I suggest comparing the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contribution Worksheet between your 2017 and 2018 tax returns.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Nothing has changed except for increases in contribution limits.  Even the TurboTax self-employed retirement section remains unchanged.  You must have done something wrong.  There is no situation where TurboTax would calculate your maximum self-employed retirement deduction for any type of self-employed retirement plan to be exactly 25% of net income from self employment with net income from self employment in the range that you have.

I suggest comparing the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contribution Worksheet between your 2017 and 2018 tax returns.

BRILLIANT!  Thank you.  Rather than look at my input, I did as you suggested and looked at the worksheet to see what TT was really doing.  The box for "maximize 401(k)" on the worksheet was not checked.  I checked it and the max contribution was recalculated to equal to net profit.

THANK YOU!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies