turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yunfeitax

In my roth IRA, I lost $25000 last year. Can I claim for capital loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You cannot unless you have distributed all of your Roth IRA accounts and the loss exceeds your uncovered basis (your own contributions).

IRS Pub 529B  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b/ch02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000231083
Recognizing Losses on Investments

If you have a loss on your Roth IRA investment, you can recognize the loss on your income tax return, but only when all the amounts in all of your Roth IRA accounts have been distributed to you and the total distributions are less than your unrecovered basis.

Your basis is the total amount of contributions in your Roth IRAs.

You claim the loss as a miscellaneous itemized deduction, subject to the 2%-of-adjusted-gross-income limit that applies to certain miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040). Any such losses are added back to taxable income for purposes of calculating the alternative minimum tax.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
djdankinney6506
Returning Member

I invested via Fidelity in Kodak & lost, to date over $20,000.  I saw somewhere that I can possibly deduct these loses but that I would need to sell the stock before the end of the year.  BUT (note the big but) I don't know if, at my income level, there would be any savings off my tax deductions for next year.  Can you help?

If your losses is in a NON retirement account then the losses would be netted against any capital gains you had realized during the year then only $3000 of the remaining loss can be deducted against ordinary income each tax year until used up or you die whichever comes first. 

djdankinney6506
Returning Member

so how do I know if I should sell my stock in Kodak?

That is a personal decision you must make based off your total financial situation ... seek local council from a financial planner if needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies