turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In January I filed 8606 forms for past years in which non deductible IRA contributions had been made. Will the IRS acknowledge these filings?

I want to file my 8606 for 2016 with my 1040. This 8606 would contain the updated non deductible figure based on the contributions for the past years I filed this past  January. Will the IRS acknowledge the 8606's for those years.  

Should I file my 2016 8606 which will reflect the first ever  RMD I took in 2016

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

In January I filed 8606 forms for past years in which non deductible IRA contributions had been made. Will the IRS acknowledge these filings?

It's quite possible that will get no acknowledgement from the IRS for the late Forms 8606 that you filed.

Prepare your 2016 tax return based on the assumption that the IRS has received and processed your late forms.  Your 2016 tax return is required to include Form 8606 to calculate the taxable portion of your distribution.  For the amount of your nondeductible contributions carried into 2016 from years prior to 2016, enter the total nondeductible contributions shown on the most recent year's From 8606 that you filed in January (usually line 14 of that form).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

It's quite possible that will get no acknowledgement from the IRS for the late Forms 8606 that you filed.

Prepare your 2016 tax return based on the assumption that the IRS has received and processed your late forms.  Your 2016 tax return is required to include Form 8606 to calculate the taxable portion of your distribution.  For the amount of your nondeductible contributions carried into 2016 from years prior to 2016, enter the total nondeductible contributions shown on the most recent year's From 8606 that you filed in January (usually line 14 of that form).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies