Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zuffco

In December of 2019, I converted money from my IRA to a Roth.I filed and payed the taxes due. Can I be penalized $195 because I had not payed estimated taxes?

I payed the tax after filing with Turbo tax but just received a bill for $195 because I did not pay estimated taxes during the year is there some exclusion for Roth Conversions?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

In December of 2019, I converted money from my IRA to a Roth.I filed and payed the taxes due. Can I be penalized $195 because I had not payed estimated taxes?

Since the conversion happened in the 4th quarter of the year you should have made a 4th quarter estimated tax payment.   If you did not then the underpayment penalty is computed ... to reduce the penalty you can use the Annualized Payment method for the 2210 if you wish however it may not be worth your time.  In the TT program, if you owed $`1000 or more then it gave you the option to complete the 2210AI or skip the penalty section all together.  Once you have filed it is too late to adjust the penalty the IRS has calculated.  

If you have never paid a penalty before, you can request a first-time abatement (waiver) of the penalty.  Any interest you owe can't be waived, but it may be less once the penalty is recomputed.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penal...

The tax system is pay-as-you-go, if you have a lump sum of income, you must pay the estimated taxes by the due date for that quarter or you can be assessed an under-payment penalty, even if you get caught up and pay in full when you file your tax return.  

dmertz
Level 15

"Once you have filed it is too late to adjust the penalty the IRS has calculated."

That doesn't sound right.  An amendment filed by the original due date for the tax return, including extensions, is considered to be an original tax return that supersedes the first tax return, so it seems that there is potentially still the possibility for submitting Form 2210 annualizing income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies