turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2020, I participated as a W2 in my employer's 401k plan. As a 1099 contractor with a different company from Sep-Dec '20 contribute to my IRA and receive a tax benefit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

In 2020, I participated as a W2 in my employer's 401k plan. As a 1099 contractor with a different company from Sep-Dec '20 contribute to my IRA and receive a tax benefit?

In addition to being eligible to make a regular traditional IRA contribution (which may or may not be deductible depending on your MAGI and filing status), you also have the option to open and contribute to a SEP-IRA and take a self-employed retirement deduction.  TurboTax will automatically calculate the maximum permissible SEP contribution when you mark the Maximize box for a SEP contribution.  Reach this section under Business Items -> Business Deductions and Credits.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

You are considered as covered by a retirement at work with your 401(k) plan.

As a covered individual, your eligibility to contribute to a deductible Traditional IRA depends on your filing status and your MAGI.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

In addition to being eligible to make a regular traditional IRA contribution (which may or may not be deductible depending on your MAGI and filing status), you also have the option to open and contribute to a SEP-IRA and take a self-employed retirement deduction.  TurboTax will automatically calculate the maximum permissible SEP contribution when you mark the Maximize box for a SEP contribution.  Reach this section under Business Items -> Business Deductions and Credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies