Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2015 I claimed Social Security Benefits which I had to return in 2016 because I earned more than the allowable. How do I report/claim this refund.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2015 I claimed Social Security Benefits which I had to return in 2016 because I earned more than the allowable. How do I report/claim this refund.

Right, but your 2016 SSA-1099 will likely show the repayment, so wait for it to arrive.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you also receive SS benefits in 2016 and were those benefits reduced by the amount of repayment in 2016?

Thank you for your question.  I did receive SSA benefits in 2016.  They were not reduced by the amount of the repayment.  The repayment was a 1 time payment of the full amount owed.

Right, but your 2016 SSA-1099 will likely show the repayment, so wait for it to arrive.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies