turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

walcin

We have filed our taxes but I noticed my contributions to 401K plan was not listed. Would this make a different with my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We have filed our taxes but I noticed my contributions to 401K plan was not listed. Would this make a different with my refund?

If your employer handled your 401(k) contributions correctly in preparing your W-2, your contribution was considered.  The proper handling is to reduce your gross pay by the amount of your contributions.  You can sometimes tell if this was done by looking at the amounts in Box 1 and Box 3.  If Box 3 is larger, it is likely that the employer handled this properly.  If there are any questions, you can contact the Human Resources department at your employer to see how this was done. Note that there are other reasons that Box 3 may be larger than Box 1 but 401(k) is by far the most prevalent one.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If your employer handled your 401(k) contributions correctly in preparing your W-2, your contribution was considered.  The proper handling is to reduce your gross pay by the amount of your contributions.  You can sometimes tell if this was done by looking at the amounts in Box 1 and Box 3.  If Box 3 is larger, it is likely that the employer handled this properly.  If there are any questions, you can contact the Human Resources department at your employer to see how this was done. Note that there are other reasons that Box 3 may be larger than Box 1 but 401(k) is by far the most prevalent one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies