turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I received money from an IRA that was closed that belonged to a deceased relative how do I report that income?

I did not inherit the IRA, just a portion of the distribution when the account was closed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I received money from an IRA that was closed that belonged to a deceased relative how do I report that income?

If you were simply distributed cash/check from the estate that is not reportable taxable income. The estate who recieved the distribution will report it on the estate return which may or may not be passed thru to the beneficiaries ... check with the trustee of the estate for more information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

It's not clear why you received money that had been in this IRA of the deceased.

Were you a designated beneficiary of the IRA?
If not, did you receive this as a distribution from the deceased's estate?
If not, were you simply given this money by someone else who was either a beneficiary of the IRA or received it from the estate?

If you were simply distributed cash/check from the estate that is not reportable taxable income. The estate who recieved the distribution will report it on the estate return which may or may not be passed thru to the beneficiaries ... check with the trustee of the estate for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies