Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bmalex

Lossed money in the market in '07 or '08 and never claimed it on my taxes (because I was young and dumb.) how would I go about claiming those? Is it still possible?

Losses amounted to about 10k.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Lossed money in the market in '07 or '08 and never claimed it on my taxes (because I was young and dumb.) how would I go about claiming those? Is it still possible?

If you sold stock in 2007 and 2008 but did not take a loss on your income tax return, no, you can not go back and file amended income tax returns, to reflect the loss. Generally, it's no longer possible to claim a tax year 2012 or earlier refund, as the 3-year statute of limitations has expired

You also cannot claim a 2007 and 2008 stock loss on your 2016 income tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

If you sold stock in 2007 and 2008 but did not take a loss on your income tax return, no, you can not go back and file amended income tax returns, to reflect the loss. Generally, it's no longer possible to claim a tax year 2012 or earlier refund, as the 3-year statute of limitations has expired

You also cannot claim a 2007 and 2008 stock loss on your 2016 income tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies