Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The screens to review the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit are blank. What do do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The screens to review the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit are blank. What do do?

If you have contributed to a Qualified Plan (see excerpt below) according to your W-2 Box 12 - OR - if you entered your IRA contributions elsewhere in the program, TurboTax is trying to see if you qualify for a tax credit, Retirement Savings Contribution Credit, thus generating Form 8880.

However, if you didn’t step through the interview for Retirement Savings Contribution Credit to see if you met the qualifications, you could be getting an error when trying to finish your return.

To fix this, go directly to the Saver's Credit section in TurboTax (Online):

1. Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (you'll need to sign in and choose Take me to my return.)
  2. Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  3. Select Tools.
  4. Then select Topic Search.
  5. In the I'm looking for: box, type 8880 to search and choose 8880, credit for qualified retirements savings contributions, then click GO.
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions until the end of the section (TurboTax will let you know if you qualify).
  7. Hit Continue until you have moved on to the next section.
  8. Run the Federal Review / Smart Check again if needed.

This should clear the error message and you should be able to continue to file. 

More about this credit:

You may be able to take this credit if you, or your spouse if filing jointly, made (a) contributions (other than rollover contributions) to a traditional or Roth IRA (including a myRA), (b) elective deferrals to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457(b), SEP, or SIMPLE plan, (c) voluntary employee contributions to a qualified retirement plan as defined in section 4974(c) (including the federal Thrift Savings Plan), or (d) contributions to a 501(c)(18)(D) plan. AND

Alternatively,

If you haven't contributed to any of the above plans (W-2 or elsewhere) then try deleting the Form 8880:
  1. Open your return, if it's not already open, and "Take me to my return"
  2. Click "Tax Tools"> "Tools"
  3. In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.
  4. Click Delete next to the form or schedule and follow the instructions to remove the form/schedule.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you have contributed to a Qualified Plan (see excerpt below) according to your W-2 Box 12 - OR - if you entered your IRA contributions elsewhere in the program, TurboTax is trying to see if you qualify for a tax credit, Retirement Savings Contribution Credit, thus generating Form 8880.

However, if you didn’t step through the interview for Retirement Savings Contribution Credit to see if you met the qualifications, you could be getting an error when trying to finish your return.

To fix this, go directly to the Saver's Credit section in TurboTax (Online):

1. Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (you'll need to sign in and choose Take me to my return.)
  2. Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  3. Select Tools.
  4. Then select Topic Search.
  5. In the I'm looking for: box, type 8880 to search and choose 8880, credit for qualified retirements savings contributions, then click GO.
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions until the end of the section (TurboTax will let you know if you qualify).
  7. Hit Continue until you have moved on to the next section.
  8. Run the Federal Review / Smart Check again if needed.

This should clear the error message and you should be able to continue to file. 

More about this credit:

You may be able to take this credit if you, or your spouse if filing jointly, made (a) contributions (other than rollover contributions) to a traditional or Roth IRA (including a myRA), (b) elective deferrals to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457(b), SEP, or SIMPLE plan, (c) voluntary employee contributions to a qualified retirement plan as defined in section 4974(c) (including the federal Thrift Savings Plan), or (d) contributions to a 501(c)(18)(D) plan. AND

Alternatively,

If you haven't contributed to any of the above plans (W-2 or elsewhere) then try deleting the Form 8880:
  1. Open your return, if it's not already open, and "Take me to my return"
  2. Click "Tax Tools"> "Tools"
  3. In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.
  4. Click Delete next to the form or schedule and follow the instructions to remove the form/schedule.

We're aware of the issue and working on a fix.  To complete your return, when you enter Federal Review, you will see a section named "Answers to review."  Click the "Review" button and answer all the questions.  This will satisfy the required answers needed for Retirement Savings Contribution Credit.

The fix will be available on 3/23.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies