turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We cashed in $700k worth of stock to buy our retirement house. Do i have to declare the money as normal income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

We cashed in $700k worth of stock to buy our retirement house. Do i have to declare the money as normal income?

If you cashed in or sold stock for the purchase of a home, then you will need to include those stock sales as income on your tax return.  Whether the income is “ordinary” income or “capital gains” will depend on what type of account held the stock when it was sold. 

If the stock was held in an after-tax brokerage account or was simply certificates that you personally held, then the sale will be reported on Schedule D and it will be taxed as capital gains if it was sold at a gain and not a loss.  The brokerage will send you a Form 1099-B with information you need to report the sale on your tax return.  Your cost basis in the stock will be taken into account when you report the sale and the entire proceeds may not be taxable to you. 

If the stock was held within a retirement account, sold, and then the proceeds were distributed to you, then you will receive Form 1099-R that will be used to report the income on your tax return as ordinary income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

If you cashed in or sold stock for the purchase of a home, then you will need to include those stock sales as income on your tax return.  Whether the income is “ordinary” income or “capital gains” will depend on what type of account held the stock when it was sold. 

If the stock was held in an after-tax brokerage account or was simply certificates that you personally held, then the sale will be reported on Schedule D and it will be taxed as capital gains if it was sold at a gain and not a loss.  The brokerage will send you a Form 1099-B with information you need to report the sale on your tax return.  Your cost basis in the stock will be taken into account when you report the sale and the entire proceeds may not be taxable to you. 

If the stock was held within a retirement account, sold, and then the proceeds were distributed to you, then you will receive Form 1099-R that will be used to report the income on your tax return as ordinary income.

Thanks! I thought that was the case, but I'm glad for the confirmation!
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Happy to help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies