turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MARPHAN

I did not take my distribution from me SEP IRA for the past 4 years, do I file amended returns for each year? or Can I take the lump sum and file it as income this year?

I did not take my distribution from me SEP IRA for the past 4 years, do I file amended returns for each year? or Can I take the lump sum and file it as income this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are over age 75 then you will have to amend all those returns in order because each failure to take RMD has its own penalty associated which is  50 % of that RMD.

You may have a hard time getting the penalties waived because you failed to act in a timely fashion to correct the error.

Unless you can show reasonable cause, like you were in a coma for four years. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are over age 75 then you will have to amend all those returns in order because each failure to take RMD has its own penalty associated which is  50 % of that RMD.

You may have a hard time getting the penalties waived because you failed to act in a timely fashion to correct the error.

Unless you can show reasonable cause, like you were in a coma for four years. 

MARPHAN

Why do you say over age 75? I will be 75 later this year,

From my answer above, please delete the words "If you are over age 75 then".
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies