Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tracyld1

I am entering my pension from out of state, why do I need to list it for North Carolina.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am entering my pension from out of state, why do I need to list it for North Carolina.

IF you are a resident of NC.....the $$ received after teh date you moved  is only taxable by NC ...the other state cannot tax distributions sent once you became an NC resident.

IF you moved to NC in 2016, then you will need to allocate part of the $$ as being NC income, based on the date you moved to NC.

IF you were a full-year resident of NC in 2016, then all of it is only NC-taxable.  It is not taxable in the former state at all in this situation.

IF you move to FL, then the pension isn't state taxable at all after the date of your move since FL doesn't tax personal income.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

IF you are a resident of NC.....the $$ received after teh date you moved  is only taxable by NC ...the other state cannot tax distributions sent once you became an NC resident.

IF you moved to NC in 2016, then you will need to allocate part of the $$ as being NC income, based on the date you moved to NC.

IF you were a full-year resident of NC in 2016, then all of it is only NC-taxable.  It is not taxable in the former state at all in this situation.

IF you move to FL, then the pension isn't state taxable at all after the date of your move since FL doesn't tax personal income.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies