turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to add my 1099-B to my state taxes, or does it carry over from federal? Or do I need the 1099-B on the state forms at all?

I'm amending my federal and state taxes for 2014, one reason being that a 1099-B and a 1099-Div need to be added. The 1099-B is for the sale of 32 shares of common stock. I've added them in the Federal without issue, and it appears that the amount for the 1099-Div transferred to the state forms but the 1099-B did not. Should I enter it manually, or did it transfer without me knowing, or do I not need it at all in the state section? I'm in Massachusetts; however, I'm hoping this is merely a general state question about income and stock sales.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Do I need to add my 1099-B to my state taxes, or does it carry over from federal? Or do I need the 1099-B on the state forms at all?

If you amended your federal return to add a Form 1099-B and Form 1099-DIV, you don't need to make any separate entries in the amendment process for MA. You just need to complete the amendment interview and reviews/checks.

State returns (including amended ones) are prepared using inputs to the federal return; the state interview will address any necessary adjustments or changes from what was entered for the federal return but rarely, if ever, require any new entries.

Depending on the amounts involved (1099-DIV and 1099-B), it is entirely possible that the changes had no effect on your MA tax liability.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

If you amended your federal return to add a Form 1099-B and Form 1099-DIV, you don't need to make any separate entries in the amendment process for MA. You just need to complete the amendment interview and reviews/checks.

State returns (including amended ones) are prepared using inputs to the federal return; the state interview will address any necessary adjustments or changes from what was entered for the federal return but rarely, if ever, require any new entries.

Depending on the amounts involved (1099-DIV and 1099-B), it is entirely possible that the changes had no effect on your MA tax liability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies