goodcats-5

If Turbo Tax is asking me what I did with my pension distribution from the Commonwealth of Mass, aren't they assuming I took a 'deferred compensation' account withdrawal?

Why does Turbo Tax ask me what I did with my pension distribution?  They ask
whether I 'moved the money to another retirement account or cashed out?  To me these questions involve 401K withdrawals, not government pension payments.  Turbo Tax does not seem to be differentiating pension distribuitons from 401K withdrawals are they?

If it's asking what you did with the money.  It should have 2 choices.  If you didn't do the first one then just select the other one.  All it really wants to know is if you rolled it over or put it into another retirement account or even back to the same account.

If you get a monthly pension check then pick the other circle for I did something else with it.  You did get the cash each month.  That is "something else”.

Your 1099R doesn't say if it is a pension or 401K withdrawal.  It only knows if it is a IRA or 401K/pension.  401K and pensions go on the same line 4c/4d on your tax return.