turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdarpo

IF the item 14 (state distribution) for a New York taxpayer is left blank, How do I know if I should report the distribution on my turbotax line 14?

I have several 1099-R's that don't show an entry in item 14. One pension is reported in two parts, on two separate 1099-R's (2 month's worth by one account manager, and 10 month's worth by the manager that took over) One of them entered the total distributionof their share in item 14, and the other did not. I also have several of these 1099-R's that show item 14 blank for other retirement income sources. Since NY does not tax the first $20,000 of this income, it's important that i record the info correctly. AND what is the result if i include the distribution on turbotax 1099R line 14 or if i do
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

IF the item 14 (state distribution) for a New York taxpayer is left blank, How do I know if I should report the distribution on my turbotax line 14?

I would report the amounts of the distributions in TurboTax line 14.  It won't be an issue if New York is the only state you resided in, and/or worked in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cdarpo

I removed the amounts from the line 14 on turbotax for those 1099-R's that were blank which resulted in a reduction of my NY state tax due of over $700.  SO it does make a difference.  Now with the one pension being reported by two different managers (two months for one and ten months for the other who took over) One reported the two month gross distribution in field 14 while the other did not.  Shouldn't they both be reporting the same way on the 1099-R ?  And which way? It's the same pension account.   Just the management company has changed.  NY is the only state I resided and worked in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies