Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a 1099-Q with a distribution of 35,274. I also entered qualified educational expenses of 35,274. Why is 1040 line 21 showing income from a Education Program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

Received a 1099-Q with a distribution of 35,274. I also entered qualified educational expenses of 35,274. Why is 1040 line 21 showing income from a Education Program?

If the Distribution doesn’t exceed the amount of the student's qualifying expenses, then the distribution is not Taxable and you don't have to report any of the distribution on your tax return. I understand that this sounds strange, especially regarding taxes, but the IRS does not request any additional information to substantiate whether or not your Distribution exceeded your actual qualified expenses. So you don't have to enter the info from 1099-Q unless it exceeded the amount of Qualified Education Expenses. Nevertheless it would be wise to keep a good record of these expenses just in case your return gets picked up for examination. Additionally since you received a distribution from and ESA you no longer qualify for other Education Credits so you don't have to enter the information from Form 1098-T either.

If the Distribution exceeds these expenses, then you must report the earnings on the excess as "other income" on your tax return. Additionally When a student’s school expenses are paid with these funds, you cannot claim a tuition deduction or either of the educational tax credits for the same expense.

One other issue that can come up with Coverdell and 529 Plans is when the Account Owner instead of the Beneficiary receives the 1099-Q. If the box on the 1099-Q that states "Check if the recipient is not designated beneficiary" is checked sometimes the IRS' computers calculate a deficiency and automatically assess penalties and interest. This is easily solved with proper communication of the situation with the IRS but nevertheless it does take time. The best way to avoid this situation is to have the distribution paid directly to the school or to the Beneficiary. This will create a 1099-Q in the name of the beneficiary instead of the account owner and keep the super-duper computers at the IRS at bay.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JaimeG

If the Distribution doesn’t exceed the amount of the student's qualifying expenses, then the distribution is not Taxable and you don't have to report any of the distribution on your tax return. I understand that this sounds strange, especially regarding taxes, but the IRS does not request any additional information to substantiate whether or not your Distribution exceeded your actual qualified expenses. So you don't have to enter the info from 1099-Q unless it exceeded the amount of Qualified Education Expenses. Nevertheless it would be wise to keep a good record of these expenses just in case your return gets picked up for examination. Additionally since you received a distribution from and ESA you no longer qualify for other Education Credits so you don't have to enter the information from Form 1098-T either.

If the Distribution exceeds these expenses, then you must report the earnings on the excess as "other income" on your tax return. Additionally When a student’s school expenses are paid with these funds, you cannot claim a tuition deduction or either of the educational tax credits for the same expense.

One other issue that can come up with Coverdell and 529 Plans is when the Account Owner instead of the Beneficiary receives the 1099-Q. If the box on the 1099-Q that states "Check if the recipient is not designated beneficiary" is checked sometimes the IRS' computers calculate a deficiency and automatically assess penalties and interest. This is easily solved with proper communication of the situation with the IRS but nevertheless it does take time. The best way to avoid this situation is to have the distribution paid directly to the school or to the Beneficiary. This will create a 1099-Q in the name of the beneficiary instead of the account owner and keep the super-duper computers at the IRS at bay.

If I don't have a tax liability then "not reporting" the information likely will not be an issue.  I get that.  However, this doesn't reinforce my faith in Turbo Tax as the program is clearly not treating the situation properly.  I had problems with the 529 plan and Turbo Tax last year as well.  If you are an Intuit employee, then can you please pass along the feedback that this really needs to be fixed.
JaimeG

I will do so, as we will have an All-Hands meeting this week I will present the issues directly to the proper channels. Thank You.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies