rbarsky1

If my wife and my combined SALT deduction would be $14,000 and by filing MFS, am I able to take $8000 SALT and she $6000 rather than hitting the cap of $10,000 as MSJ?

We make similar incomes and we don't have any kids or student loans so we aren't in risk of losing other credits or deductions by filing MFS. So are we able to split the Property taxes from our home and combine with our individual State income taxes to maximize two SALT deductions rather than absorb a $10,000 cap together?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

No, the cap is $5000 each when married filing separately.