Solved: If my wife and I both withdrew from 401k to purchase a house can we claim 10k each without early withdrawal penalty or is it 10k max per couple? If so how can we do so?

esevieux

If my wife and I both withdrew from 401k to purchase a house can we claim 10k each without early withdrawal penalty or is it 10k max per couple? If so how can we do so?

Taking money from your 401k to purchase a house is not an exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty. That is only with a traditional IRA. You will face the early withdrawal penalty and ordinary income tax on the amount you took out of a 401k. You will each receive a 1099R for the distributions, which must be entered on your tax return.