turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tipton04

If IIretire next year and have purchased land clearing equipment to work at after retirement. Do I file as self employed? Where do I enter my equipment purchases?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If IIretire next year and have purchased land clearing equipment to work at after retirement. Do I file as self employed? Where do I enter my equipment purchases?

You will report your new equipment as a business asset on next year's tax return. You cannot set the equipment up as a depreciable asset until you are making income. The IRS requires you to depreciate equipment in the tax year that your equipment is placed in service. Then, you will file as a self-employed taxpayer and set up your business on Schedule C where you will list your business equipment. You may decide to depreciate or expense this property. Please view the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about this option. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4682171

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

You will report your new equipment as a business asset on next year's tax return. You cannot set the equipment up as a depreciable asset until you are making income. The IRS requires you to depreciate equipment in the tax year that your equipment is placed in service. Then, you will file as a self-employed taxpayer and set up your business on Schedule C where you will list your business equipment. You may decide to depreciate or expense this property. Please view the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about this option. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4682171

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies