turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was on home confinement does that still count as living in the half way house and why when I got to that question did it deduct money from my return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kadian

If I was on home confinement does that still count as living in the half way house and why when I got to that question did it deduct money from my return

Being confined to your home "house arrest" is not the same as living in a halfway house.

The reason you notice the decrease in your refund when you answered yes to living in a half way house is, while incarcerated or living in a Half Way House, any income you earned during this time does not qualify as earned income for the Earned Income Credit. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Kadian

Being confined to your home "house arrest" is not the same as living in a halfway house.

The reason you notice the decrease in your refund when you answered yes to living in a half way house is, while incarcerated or living in a Half Way House, any income you earned during this time does not qualify as earned income for the Earned Income Credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies