turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

farmgirl2

If I take a part of my pension and it is taxed at 20% by my company with an additional penalty of 10% will I be taxed again at the end of the year on that amount again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If I take a part of my pension and it is taxed at 20% by my company with an additional penalty of 10% will I be taxed again at the end of the year on that amount again?

The distribution would be added to your income as part of your tax return.  The 20% withholding of Federal income tax is meant to cover most of the income tax that you would be paying on the additional income.  Sometimes it does not cover everything, depending on other aspects of your tax return.  

The statement written above is the general rule prior to the CARES Act.  There are new provisions regarding early pension distributions, including waiving the 10% penalty, and spreading out the income tax over multiple years.  So just be aware that the rules are changing due to the changing times.  You will still be subject to income tax on the distribution, but the burden may not all be placed on a single tax year.

@farmgirl2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies