cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

If I qualify for the distance but not the time? Moved in March then retired from company in November but no longer work.

The real question is since I retired from job and no longer work can I still deduction moving expenses since I do not satisfy the time requirement?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 2

If I qualify for the distance but not the time? Moved in March then retired from company in November but no longer work.

No, unfortunately you can’t claim the deduction because, as you suggest, you don’t meet the time requirement. 

There’s a very slim exception if you’re a retiree who was working abroad and you moved to the United States – in that case, you don't have to meet the time test.  I doubt you meet this exception, but in the event you do, there’s more information in “Retirees or Survivors Who Move to the United States” on page 7 of IRS Publication 521, Moving Expenses.

1 Reply
Level 2

No, unfortunately you can’t claim the deduction because, as you suggest, you don’t meet the time requirement. 

There’s a very slim exception if you’re a retiree who was working abroad and you moved to the United States – in that case, you don't have to meet the time test.  I doubt you meet this exception, but in the event you do, there’s more information in “Retirees or Survivors Who Move to the United States” on page 7 of IRS Publication 521, Moving Expenses.