Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gordon1

If i pay my wife 1099-misc income for work doing office work for our LLC can she then contribute all to our SOLO 401k?

My wife performs a few duties for me as co-owner of the business, we would like to have 100% of her compensation go into our SOLO 401k as we are not concerned with contributing to social security and medicare.  This business is a side business for me as I am also employed at a separate entity that I make my 401K contributions with.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If i pay my wife 1099-misc income for work doing office work for our LLC can she then contribute all to our SOLO 401k?

That's not the issue the previous commenters were discussing. The issue is that you can't have a Husband Wife Qualified Joint Venture and have it be an LLC. She can be your employee, but she can't be your partner. If it is a partnership, you will have to file a Partnership return.

Definition of a Qualified Joint Venture

A qualified joint venture is a joint venture that conducts a trade or business where (1) the only members of the joint venture are a married couple who file a joint return, (2) both spouses materially participate in the trade or business, and (3) both spouses elect not to be treated as a partnership. A qualified joint venture, for purposes of this provision, includes only businesses that are owned and operated by spouses as co-owners, and not in the name of a state law entity (including a limited partnership or limited liability company) (See below). Note also that mere joint ownership of property that is not a trade or business does not qualify for the election. The spouses must share the items of income, gain, loss, deduction, and credit in accordance with each spouse's interest in the business. The meaning of “material participation” is the same as under the passive activity loss rules in section 469(h) and the corresponding regulations (see Publication 925, Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules). Note that, except as provided in section 469(c)(7), rental real estate income or loss generally is passive under section 469, even if the material participation rules are satisfied, and filing as a qualified joint venture will not alter the character of passive income or loss.

From <https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorpo...

View solution in original post

8 Replies

"co-owner of the business"
There is no "our" SOLO 401(k).  Solo mean ONE.
And depending upon your state, you may need to file a Partnership return (which was due on MARCH 15).
You may need to see a local tax professional.

Additionally, your wife should NOT be receiving a form 1099-MISC if she is a co-owner.
Agree with @SweetieJean in that it appears you need to consult with a tax professional to make sure you are handling things appropriately.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
Gordon1

SOLO K's can cover up to two person businesses, check the rules

A solo 401(k) can cover the Business Owner and [non-owner] Spouse.  However, your spouse is a co-owner.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

That's not the issue the previous commenters were discussing. The issue is that you can't have a Husband Wife Qualified Joint Venture and have it be an LLC. She can be your employee, but she can't be your partner. If it is a partnership, you will have to file a Partnership return.

Definition of a Qualified Joint Venture

A qualified joint venture is a joint venture that conducts a trade or business where (1) the only members of the joint venture are a married couple who file a joint return, (2) both spouses materially participate in the trade or business, and (3) both spouses elect not to be treated as a partnership. A qualified joint venture, for purposes of this provision, includes only businesses that are owned and operated by spouses as co-owners, and not in the name of a state law entity (including a limited partnership or limited liability company) (See below). Note also that mere joint ownership of property that is not a trade or business does not qualify for the election. The spouses must share the items of income, gain, loss, deduction, and credit in accordance with each spouse's interest in the business. The meaning of “material participation” is the same as under the passive activity loss rules in section 469(h) and the corresponding regulations (see Publication 925, Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules). Note that, except as provided in section 469(c)(7), rental real estate income or loss generally is passive under section 469, even if the material participation rules are satisfied, and filing as a qualified joint venture will not alter the character of passive income or loss.

From <https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorpo...

Gordon1

The LLC also filed an S Corp election upon establishment, does this change the answer?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, in this case, you need to pay yourself and wife with Form W-2. 

EXCEPT if the OP and spouse reside in a Community Property State!!!!!
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies