jarvismpa

If I made a contribution to a traditional IRA in 2016 and this amount showed up on my W-2 in Box 12 coded "D", should this amount have been deducted from my Adjusted Gross Income if I included it in my TurboTax W-2 info when filing taxes?

I can't find the D coded amount in Box 12 having been deducted in my Adjusted Gross Income (it is not in my Itemized Deductions nor Exemptions) factoring in the calculation of my Taxable Income.  Please help me understand if this is an error, or, if the D coded amount from Box 12 is actually captured somewhere in the amount subtracted from my Adjusted Gross Income equating to the Taxable Income. Thanks.

You cannot make an IRA contribution thru the payroll system at work ... what you have is a 401K contribution which is on the W-2 code D ... and since this has already been deducted from your taxable income you do not get to deduct it again. 

Now if you did make an IRA contribution outside of work then the deductible amount would be on the form 1040 line 32.