turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbowen32

If I lost IRA money in the stock market before I moved it to an IRA savings account, can I deduct that loss or recoup some of the money on my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I lost IRA money in the stock market before I moved it to an IRA savings account, can I deduct that loss or recoup some of the money on my tax return?

No you will just have less income to pay tax on when you take it out.  If you are rolling it over to another IRA account there should be no taxes due on it.  

@sbowen32 - remember, you never paid tax on that money up front and given it is now worth less than it was originally, you won't have to pay taxes on what you lost on the way out either. 

So in effect, the IRS is already subsidizing your loss by not asking you to pay tax on the money originally contributed. 

sbowen32

That makes sense! Thank you so much.

When you give up on your brokerage IRA and go to a savings account IRA it is usually the bottom of the market.

The stock market is climbing again now.

That's how it always goes.

@sbowen32 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies