Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live overseas, can I still contribute the allowed maximum to my traditional IRA and my Roth IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If I live overseas, can I still contribute the allowed maximum to my traditional IRA and my Roth IRA?

Yes BUT only if you have taxable earned income on your return ... if you exclude all your foreign income using the form 2555 then you will have no taxable earned income left on your return.

psisoc

Look for "Compensation for Purposes of an IRA" at irs.gov.
psisoc

psisoc

Yes ... please read the rules:  

General Limit For 2018, the most that can be contributed to your traditional IRA generally is the smaller of the following amounts. • $5,500 ($6,500 if you are age 50 or older). • Your taxable compensation (defined earlier) for the year.

What Isn’t Compensation? 

Compensation doesn’t include any of the following items. • Earnings and profits from property, such as rental income, interest income, and dividend income. • Pension or annuity income. • Deferred compensation received (compensation payments postponed from a past year). • Income from a partnership for which you don’t provide services that are a material income-producing factor. • Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) payments reported on Schedule SE (Form 1040), line 1b. • Any amounts (other than combat pay) you exclude from income, such as foreign earned income and housing costs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies