If I have excess roth IRA contributions that have a net loss, should I withdraw the original contribution amount or that amount less the loss attributable to it?

I made a $2,500 contribution to a Roth IRA in 2018, but now need to withdraw that to avoid penalties since I learned I'm not eligible to contribute due to income thresholds. I know if there are earnings that those need to be withdrawn as well and would be taxable, but I have a loss, so I'm wondering if I need to withdraw my contribution and the loss (effectively making me withdraw less than I contributed). I'm not able to enter a negative number for the earnings.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DDollar

You would calculate (or have your broker/dealer) calculate the loss attributable to the excess contribution and withdraw the original contribution less the loss.  The amount of your contribution "returned* is $2,500 and your adjusted amount *distributed* is $2,500 less the attributable loss.

DDollar