Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcajg1

If I have a RMD requirement and the money was not deducted my IRA until 1-3-2018 rather that 12-31-2017. I do not want to pay penalty. I was trying to get the money out.

I stated the RMD early but I did not have enough cash in my account so I had to sale some shares. This all took time and I had to wait until the funds settled before I could with draw.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LisaBr

If I have a RMD requirement and the money was not deducted my IRA until 1-3-2018 rather that 12-31-2017. I do not want to pay penalty. I was trying to get the money out.

If you missed the deadline due to a reasonable cause, you may ask the IRS to waive the 50% excise tax

You will need to Form 5329 to calculate the excise tax on your missed Required Minimum Distribution.  You will not receive a 1099-R to report the 2017 done in January of 2018 until next year.   

You can access Form 5329 by going into your Forms at the top of the screen.  On the left side, click on Open Form and type in 5329 in the Search box.  Double-click on the form and it brings it into your right-side so you can fill it out.  The Waiver Request can be typed or printed to include with the forms separately.

The request for waiver may be included in a letter of explanation, which you attach to your tax return (Form 1040) along with your Form 5329. When requesting a waiver, do not pay the excess accumulation penalty up front. Instead, follow the instructions for requesting a waiver in the Instructions for Form 5329. If the IRS does not honor your waiver request, you will be notified and send a bill.

The 1040, Form 5329 and the waiver request must be filed by mail.

Instructions for Form 5329: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5329.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies