turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i had additional income such as house sitting money do i file a 1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

You would file the house sitting additional income on a Schedule C.  If you don't receive a 1099-MISC from the person/business that you worked for then you would just enter the income in TurboTax.  You would just total up all cash, checks, and credit card income deposits that you received as income in 2016 and enter them, along with your business expenses, on your Schedule C in Turbo Tax. You can list them separately on one Schedule C, or as a total on the same Schedule C. To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps.

Use the search box in the upper right hand corner. 

Type in "schedule c" in the box. 

This will bring up the "Jump to schedule c" link...click that link. 

From here TurboTax will ask you some specific questions about your business. 

You'll be led through a different screens asking you more questions regarding your business. 

You'll also be taken to a screen to enter your income (this is where you can lump all your income together, or list the specific types...cash, check, or credit card income). 

Once you've entered your income and clicked Done and/or Continue.

Turbo Tax will bring you to the screen for you to choose what expenses you would like to enter onto your tax return

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Patrice

You would file the house sitting additional income on a Schedule C.  If you don't receive a 1099-MISC from the person/business that you worked for then you would just enter the income in TurboTax.  You would just total up all cash, checks, and credit card income deposits that you received as income in 2016 and enter them, along with your business expenses, on your Schedule C in Turbo Tax. You can list them separately on one Schedule C, or as a total on the same Schedule C. To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps.

Use the search box in the upper right hand corner. 

Type in "schedule c" in the box. 

This will bring up the "Jump to schedule c" link...click that link. 

From here TurboTax will ask you some specific questions about your business. 

You'll be led through a different screens asking you more questions regarding your business. 

You'll also be taken to a screen to enter your income (this is where you can lump all your income together, or list the specific types...cash, check, or credit card income). 

Once you've entered your income and clicked Done and/or Continue.

Turbo Tax will bring you to the screen for you to choose what expenses you would like to enter onto your tax return

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies